It was a long six months ago when I got the Ruger Custom Shop 10/22 Competition Rifle in for review. That is twice as long as I like to keep a test gun but this rifle is something a bit special and I wanted to be sure I had gone over it thoroughly.
The Custom Shop 10/22 is an attractive rifle with some nice features, such as the adjustable comb/cheek piece. The stock is laminated wood, a bit oversized, and slightly textured.
The magazine release has been greatly upgraded, as you can see here following the contour of the trigger guard. It is much easier to manipulate from either side. Standard cross bolt safety like you are used to seeing on the 10/22 and a very nice BX trigger that broke cleanly at three pounds with almost no take up and minimal overtravel.
The free floated match grade bull barrel is fluted and just over sixteen inches finishing in a functional muzzle brake.
The muzzle brake threads off the 1/2×28 threads if you choose to add some other sort of accessory, I recommend the Ruger Silent-SR as reviewed here.
The rifle ships sans sights, which is pretty typical for match grade rifles. The 6061 aluminum receiver has an integrated 30 MOA Picatinny Rail.
3 shot group from a rest at 100 yards.
With quality target .22LR ammunition sub MOA groups at a 100 yards is not a problem.
Between the myriad of folks that had the opportunity to run the Custom Shop 10/22 with totaled around a 1000 rounds down range, without a failure. Now I did experience intermittent failures with subsonic ammunition without a silencer attached, but I do not consider that a failure as that is not uncommon with semi automatic rimfire rifles. The added backpressure of the silencer helps with bolt speed and reliability with subs. With a few different silencers on the 10/22 there were no issues with function using subs or supers. This rifle would be excellent for getting into rimfire competition but would serve equally well with informal plinking and as a training platform. With it’s adjustable cheek piece, muzzle brake, oversized stock, excellent trigger, and accuracy potential it would be a great platform to introduce new shooters to our wonderful sport. If you are in the market for a very nice semi automatic rimfire for whatever reason or no reason at all the new Ruger Custom Shop 10/22 Competition Rifle is an excellent option.
- Fully adjustable cheek rest can be repositioned to accommodate varying comb heights and positions to create a custom-adjusted feel that is stable, comfortable and repeatable for optic alignment.
- Hard-coat anodized, CNC-machined receiver made from heat treated and stress relieved 6061-T6511 aluminum allows for optimal receiver-to-bolt interaction and a match-grade feel.
- Proprietary, enhanced semi-auto chamber proven to increase accuracy and precision while not compromising reliable feeding and extraction.
- BX-Trigger® with a light, crisp 3 pound trigger pull weight with minimal overtravel and a positive reset.
- Dual bedding system incorporates a second bedding lug, ensuring the receiver is securely bedded to the stock.
- Heat treated and nitrided CNC-machined match bolt that creates a tight-fitting, smooth action enabling the highest level of performance.
- Receiver incorporates a rear cleaning port, providing access to the barrel from the rear of the receiver for ease of cleaning.
- Top barrel locator allows for a free-floating barrel for superior accuracy.
- Painted and textured laminated stock provides a sure-feeling, slip-free grip.
- Detachable 10-round rotary magazine features a unique rotor to separate cartridges and provide reliable feeding.
- 16-1/8″ cold hammer-forged bull barrel is fluted to reduce weight and dissipate heat and is also threaded with a 1/2″-28 pattern to accommodate the included muzzle brake or other barrel accessories.
- Positive, push-button, cross-bolt manual safety.
- Integral, optics-ready 30 MOA Picatinny rail for increased long-range elevation capabilities.
- Match bolt release allows you to easily advance the nitrided bolt with a quick pull and release to the rear.
- Heat-stabilized, glass-filled, polymer trigger housing assembly is precision made of high-tech material for improved manufacturing tolerances, impact and abrasion-resistance and an unmatched ability to withstand the elements.
- Compatible with the Silent-SR® sound suppressor – Learn More
- Also includes: hard case; Ruger® Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity, challenge coin, cleaning cloth and decal.